Screening 101 - A guide to client screening
Don't Panic - PLAN - a comprehensive plan just in case
The Internet Escort's Handbook - a book for escorts by an escort, the one and only Amanda Brooks
Safety Tips For Working Adults
adapted from SWOP-USA
How safe is your work? Wherever you work, it is important to:
- Tell someone where you are going and how long you will be gone.
- Think about an escape route in advance, in case of danger.
- Avoid secluded areas.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
Assess your clients:
- Make sure you can see them clearly.
- Never turn your back on a client.
- Engage in small talk to assess any potential risk.
- Always go on your ‘gut instinct’.
What is ‘gut instinct’?
- If you get bad vibes, feel uneasy or get butterflies, your gut instinct is telling you something is wrong…LEAVE IMMEDIATELY! If the date is at your place, state that you don't feel comfortable and POLITELY ASK YOUR GUEST TO LEAVE! If you were considering getting into someone's vehicle for a date, DON'T GO WITH HIM!
- Trust your judgment at all times.
- Even a regular can still turn ugly. TRUST YOUR GUT INSTINCT USUALLY IT’S RIGHT.
- Confidence at work can save your life.
- Never show that you feel intimidated, frightened or ‘out of control’.
- Try to stay positive and in control.
- Take time out if work gets stressful.
- Always let your date think that you have a friend that knows where you are.
- Make as much noise as possible. This frightens people away. Yell, scream—GET OUT! GET AWAY!
- Run and scream “FIRE” as loud as you can.
- Run to a busy street and get help.
- Create a HUGE scene to get attention.
- Loud noise scares people and attracts attention.
- Carry a whistle or personal alarm.
- Remember, any sign of danger, yell and get help!
- Turn fear into anger. Get really angry.
- Use whatever you can as a weapon. Use your stilettos, bag, sharp ring, belt buckle or anything that will inflict pain.
- Strike vulnerable areas of the body—eyes, throat, nose, fingers, balls, knee, feet—these hurt the most.
- Create as much noise as possible.
- If you can run, shout and set off alarms. Put distance and obstacles between you and the attacker.
- If you can’t get away, fight with anything to protect yourself. Kick, bite hit with anything, be aggressive, scream and shout.
- If you can’t run or fight, try not to show fear and try to talk your way out.
- Stay out of attacking range.
- Use an object, such as a bag or shoe as a shield to protect yourself.
- If you can run, get out and scream “FIRE”—this gets attention.
- Try and keep your vital organs away from the weapon.
- Use anything around to throw at the attacker. This will give you time to get away.
IF YOU ARE ATTACKED, REPORT IMMEDIATELY TO THE POLICE AND SWOP—IT CAN SAVE LIVES.
The above tips have been adapted with the permission of SWOP Australia. www.swop.org.au
Kelly adds that every sex worker should seriously consider participation in self defense or martial arts classes.